first aid

I   Home    I    Medical Equipment   I    Ultra sound   I    Health Journal   I    Hospital Supplies   I    Dialysis Machine   I    Camping Gear   I    First Aid   I    Cancer   I    Contact   I    Career   I



Wednesday, January 25, 2012

First Aid in Fires

First Aid in Fires

What you have to think about fires?

Learn how to protect you and other inside the building, what do in an emergency fire, how to stock a first-aid kit


Rapid, clear thinking at a fire is vital. Fire spreads very quickly, so warn any people at risk, and alert the emergency services immediately. Panic also spreads quickly, so you must calm anyone who is likely to increase alarm.

If leaving a burning building, try to help everyone out of the building without putting yourself at risk. Shut all doors behind you. look for fire exits and assembly points. You should know the evacuation procedure at your workplace. If visiting business premises, follow instructions given by staff.

If arriving at a fire or burns incident, STOP, OBSERVE, THINK, and DO NOT RUSH IN. There may be flammable or explosive substances, such as gas, or toxic fumes or a risk of electrocution. A minor fire can escalate in minutes to a serious blaze. If there is a risk to you, wait for the emergency services.
DO NOT use lifts in any circumtances.

LEAVING A BURNING BUILDING

  1. Activate the first fire alarm you see.
  2. Close each door behind you as you go.
  3. Do not run, but walk quickly and calmly.
DEALING WITH A FIRE

A fire needs three components to start and maintain it: ignition (an electric spark or naked flame); a source of fuel (petrol, wood, or fabric); and oxygen (air). Remove any one of these to break this "triangle of fire". For example:
  • switch off a car's ignition or pull the fuel cut-off on large diesel vehicles;
  • remove from the path of a fire any combustible materials, such as curtains or cardboard, that may fuel the flames;
  • shut a door on a fire to cut off its oxygen supply, smother flames with a smoke blanket or other impervious substance.
DO NOT attempt to fight a fire unless you have called the emergency services and made sure that you are not putting your own safety at risk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home